Sunday, June 23, 2013

The krylon overhaul and a space ship doghaus

I had a few things left before the first road test.....Little things.....
Like doors. That worked from both the inside and outside.
And a doghouse that stayed put, and had insulation on the inside.
...and a windshield.

I found this grille for sale on the B van forum. Im met this cool cat Greg up in Appleton and picked this thing up for a great price.
The B van forum is a great resource, and if you are into mids and have not been there, its a wealth of information!
Anyways, I got to thinking that since the exterior is going to be a few years away, I might as well make it look OK by the rattlecan tactic.

 



 So this is what the doors looked like on the inside. Hideous. And terrible. Now dont get me wrong, some things are just fine being singularly hideous or singularly terrible, but not both.
If I ever find the bastard who used all the LiquidNails to hold this carpet shit on I am going to hurt them.
But, as always I powered on and gave the doors a little krylon overhaul too.


Yeah, the asshole carpeted the doghaus too. Motherfucker. But the drivers compartment is nice n black now....

So I got some BoomMat. Self adhesive foilbacked foam specifically designed to be used underhoods.
Figured it would work great since the original insulation is impossible to find.
Add a little 1000 mph tape to the seams and we got us a NASA spaceship!


Added a few of the Jeep-style spring loaded hood latches to hold the doghouse down and make it tool-less to remove. Mcmaster- Carr.... they were 7 bucks a peice!

Had the glass put in. I wasn't about to do it alone. And since I watched the pros do it, saw the tools they use ( a fiberglass wedge and drift, and a neat little lockcord install tool) its still a finesse thing.
I will probably hire them to remove the glass and reinstall it when I get around to the exterior phase....
Reused my gasket and lockring.

the old gasket was still pliable. And the new one didnt fit. story of my life with "replacement" parts for b vans...

making it look easy. Lets just say theres lots of glass cleaner used, works like a champ!

the lockcord install tool. Cord passes thru the openeing as the tool nests it into the gasket channel.

ready for a dump truck
 With the windscreen installed, it was ready to roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment