Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Piiiiipes.

So the sidepipes which were on the van when I purchased it were really not connected, and I really had no idea how they would sound when I ran them.
I did modify them so that more than one little restrictive 2 inch inlet tube would be used. These style sidepipes have the first three inlet tubes as "decoration" and the furthest aft tube is the factory inlet. This pair had major corrosion goin on in the original inlet tubes and because of that, I proceeded to farnkenstein the hell out of them.

You may think I'm spending a ridiculous amount of time on the exhaust, but I think how a vehicle sounds is just as important as how it looks. Maybe even more important...

Needless to say, me coming from a muscle car which was well equipped with a freely revving mill talking through twin dual chamber Flowmasters, I was disappointed with what the sidepipes sounded like.

It didnt rumble. It sounded like a station wagon with plugged glasspack. Not terrifying enough.

With a little help from ol' Speedy Bill, I'm trying to change that. Got a coupla turnouts, some straight pipe and the good-old auger muffler insert to take the edge off the noise....

In a few days time, I will see if I succeeded.


The turnout. 3.5 inch and it has an expanded slipover section. Easy-peasy.

A little sectioning on the 50 dollar Kalamazoo

Kentucky 'lignment and a tack or three

Hogger- Auger!!!

Playing with where I think it shouldn't go.
Wound up placing it just past the bluge transition. Note the slipover is notched and comes with a pinchbolt. Nice, eh?

All smooved ova. Now I gotta mount em....
1/2" square stock I will use as weld nuts to weld to the sidepipes for mounting to the hanger straps.

No comments:

Post a Comment